Sunday School Ideas
Sunday School Ideas for Christmas, Easter and more! Free to use in your ministry!
Check out some great ideas for Winter and Spring classes. Also... see our pages dedicated to Teacher Training and Recommended Resources!
The end of the year is on its way! (Don't ask me how!) And that means the Holidays are upon us!
Get ready for Easter! Find ideas for lessons and skits for your classroom on our Easter Ideas Page! And, be sure to read the featured article: "Teaching About the Empty Tomb."
Sunday School Ideas - Winter & Spring
Just Us Little Guys!
a year's worth of curriculum for children ages 4-7. For fall and winter, consider some of these lessons.
- Life of Jesus Series! - These 12 tried-and-true lessons teach about Things Jesus Did and Said. You'll find lessons on the Baptism of Jesus, the Miracles of Jesus, and the Parables of Jesus and other of His teachings. The final lesson Jesus is the Way helps young children learn about Salvation by faith in Christ.
- Easter Series! - Find 8 lessons about the events surrounding Easter, including the Triumphal Entry into Jerusalem, as well as the Death, Burial and Resurrection of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. After-Easter lessons focus on the Reconciliation of Peter, the Great Commission and the Ascension of Jesus.
Youth Group Lessons!
9 months of lessons (or more) to use with your Youth.
questions that will help liven up any Youth Group. Look up what the
Bible has to say about the questions too!
- God the Father - 12 lessons about God as Creator
- God the Son - 12 lessons about God as Savior
- God the Holy Spirit - 12 lessons about God as Enabler
Holiday Sunday School Lessons!
Find Sunday School Ideas for lessons for Christmas, Easter and more...
Teacher Training 101
Are You Called? (Not on the phone.)
Are You Led? (Not by the nose.)
Are you a new Sunday School Teacher? Do you have questions, fears, doubts?
Are you an established teacher or an administrator? Do you have issues or problems... or do you need Teacher Training material?
Visit my Teacher Training page!
Where you will find this manual for teachers and administrators...
Teacher Training 101
Never fear! God is BIG! Remember, you have the Holy Spirit living in you!
Share the Gospel with Others!
The Jesus Film® app is now available for your devices (smartphones and tablets). Download the app for free, and access all of the Jesus Film Project's movies and videos for free! Get your free app now and start sharing The Jesus Film and other great resources with people you meet!!
Suggest the app to your Youth Group to help them talk to their friends about Jesus.
Teaching about the Empty Tomb
by Sharon Chatwell
Jesus is Alive! Hallelujah!
Teaching others about Easter always seems to carry with it an extra responsibility. As Sunday School teachers, we may feel a special burden to try and “Get it Right” when we teach the Easter Story. The reasons for this are obvious; after all… This is important stuff!
Over the years I’ve gained a few insights that have helped me when teaching the Easter Story. So, I thought I would share them with you. I hope you will find them helpful.
- Easter is the pivotal point in Christianity. Teaching others about the Death, Burial, and Resurrection of Jesus may lead them to know Him as the Christ, and to accept Him as Savior. For these reasons teaching about Easter is really important, and so first and foremost we must be certain that our teaching is based on God’s Word: The Bible.
- When teaching young children the Easter Story, always be sure to teach about the Resurrection on the same day that you teach about the Crucifixion. Never leave a child with only half the story!Plan ahead! Balance your class time to ensure adequate discussion of both events during the same lesson.
- Using a skit to teach the specifics of the Easter story can be very helpful. Skits can be used as an instructional tool for your students or as an evangelical outreach towards others. When using skits with various age groups, these simple guidelines may prove helpful:
-Preschool and Young Elementary age students will enjoy participating in a short skit which is narrated for them by an adult or older child. They may be willing to repeat the lines spoken by their Bible person. Allowing these young children to dress the part helps them as well. Simple costumes made of large squares of fabric can convey a lot of meaning and are easy to make.
-Older Elementary age students will enjoy simple skits that they can act out for themselves or for others. Consider practicing in class for a week or so and then performing the skit for younger children or for family members. Costumes are still fun for this age, and refreshments are always welcome!
-Easter Skits for Youth are wonderful for them to perform in class or for others. Consider doing an evangelical outreach with a skit designed to get people thinking about Easter. (Check out The e-Bunny, a skit for Youth on our Easter Skits page.)
- Sunday School Crafts for Easter, such as an Empty Tomb craft, help children visualize the reality of the empty tomb of Jesus. They will come to realize that first He was dead and buried, and then He was raised from the dead! (See the preschool lesson, The Empty Tomb, for more Sunday School Ideas!)
Once I tried to imagine what a disciple would say, if he were able to come and speak to us today. I wondered if he might talk about the unity of believers or about the importance of loving one another and living at peace with those around us. Then suddenly it occurred to me that if one of the disciples was able to come and speak to us today, he would simply say, “I saw Jesus Christ with my very own eyes after He was risen from the dead!” Who could stand before such testimony?!
This is, in fact, the message of Easter. Jesus Christ, the Son of God, was crucified, died and was buried, and then He was raised from the dead and is alive forever.
You and I did not see these things happen for ourselves, but we rely on the Word of God, written down by the disciples and preserved for us all these years by the Holy Spirit. The disciple John wrote:
That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked at and our hands have touched—this we proclaim concerning the Word of life. 1 John 1:1
And on the day of Pentecost, the disciple Peter said:
Men of Israel, listen to this: Jesus of Nazareth was a man accredited by God to you by miracles, wonders and signs, which God did among you through him, as you yourselves know. This man was handed over to you by God’s set purpose and foreknowledge; and you, with the help of wicked men, put him to death by nailing him to the cross. But God raised him from the dead, freeing him from the agony of death, because it was impossible for death to keep its hold on him.” Acts 2:22-24
This message of Easter is as true and as piercing today as it was 2000 years ago. And it is this message that we continue teach in our classrooms, in our churches, and in our very lives.
God bless you this Easter as you Teach about the Empty Tomb!
Jesus is Alive! Hallelujah!
Printer-friendly version of "Teaching About the Empty Tomb."
More Sunday School Ideas...
Our Sunday School Ideas section of our website has been expanded to include pages with Sunday School ideas for Teachers' Training, and Recommended Resources. Be sure and check these out!
In the future, I hope that you will be able to come Sunday School Ideas page to find more good ideas, helpful advice, and much needed
encouragement in Christ!
You are the workforce that keeps Sunday School up and running!
I want you to have access to Sunday School ideas that will be
helpful to you in your ministry!
God bless you as you continue to serve God right where you are!
With love in Christ,
Other Topics from Sunday School Ideas...
- Recommended Resources!
Find recommended resources for Sunday School, available online for you to use. You will love these valuable ideas for Sunday School!
- Teacher Training!
Teacher Training for Sunday School Teachers and Administrators. Whether you're Planning your own Teacher Training program or you just need a few answers to your questions about teaching, this is for you!
- Teacher Appreciation!
"Read the article "How Do You Thank a Sunday School Teacher?" Access several helpful resources that will make planning the perfect Teacher Appreciation Day somewhat less impossible! Templates for Teacher Appreciation Certificates are included!
- Getting Ready for Fall!
Read the article "Gearing Up for Fall!" Learn about how to prepare and plan for Sunday School programs this fall! Get some good advice on things to think about and pray over, as you make plans for the new Sunday School year!
- Halloween Ideas!
Read the article "Halloween: Party or No Party?" Find links to helpful resources for planning an Alternative Event for Youth or for hosting the Perfect Kids' Party! You'll also find links to Halloween Sunday School lessons for children (Preschool to Youth.) Remember... "The best defense is a good offense."
- Christmas Ideas!
Read the article "Teaching the True Meaning of Christmas" which reminds us of the importance of teaching our children the truth behind the celebration of Christmas: The birth of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. On this page you will also find links to Christmas skits, as well as to a full set of Christmas lessons, which include skits, activities, and crafts.
- Easter Ideas!
Read the article on "Teaching About the Empty Tomb". Find out about Easter Skits and get Ideas for Easter Sunday School Lessons, which include crafts, skits, and other activities.
Thank you for visiting our Sunday School Ideas page! God bless you!
Sunday School Ideas - Back to TOP
View ALL Free Sunday School Lessons
View Sunday School Lessons for Special Holidays